When you are focused on building your business, does it make sense to have a “side hustle” – a business or job you pursue on the side that isn’t necessarily tied to your main gig? In episode 7 of LifeWork, Dave and Meagan define the concept of a “side hustle” and discuss how it can actually bring more energy, creativity, and possibility to your main income-generating work – as long as you make sure to keep some boundaries around it.
- The benefits of a side hustle: a creative outlet that can add energy to your main gig, allows room for passion projects that aren’t (yet) profitable
- Potential pitfalls of a side hustle: can take time/energy away from more lucrative endeavors, need to set boundaries/limits around it
- How do you know when it’s time to let a side hustle go, invest more resources in it, hand it off to someone else, or go all the way with it?
- Strategies for putting boundaries around a side hustle so it doesn’t end up taking up more time and energy than you can allow.
Resources and Links:
- 3 Reasons Why You Absolutely Need A Side Hustle – article for Inc.com Sane Success column by Damon Brown
- LifeWork Episode 6 – What is a “Muse Business?”
- The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future (Chris Guillebeau)