Whether you’re expecting a new baby or love showering friends with thoughtful baby gifts, this episode is for you. Meagan and Sarah enlist the help of some savvy new moms to get the latest product must-haves, plus rely on our own experience and the benefit of hindsight to dissect what’s really essential, what you can probably pass on, and which gifts go the distance. Join us!
Sponsor Spotlight: Annie’s Kit Clubs
Annie’s Kit Clubs makes it easy for your kids to become makers and builders with their crafting and woodworking kits for kids ages 7-12. Kits arrive every 4-6 weeks with the materials kids need to make a beautiful craft or woodworking project completely on their own (little to no supervision required!). For 50% off the Young Woodworkers Club or 80% off the Creative Girls Club, visit annieskitclubs.com/life.
Sponsor Spotlight: Canvas People
What are we doing with all these photos on our phones, mamas? Now you can print your favorites on a beautiful piece of art with Canvas People. Get your own 11×14 Canvas People print for FREE (you just pay shipping and handling) when you visit Canvas People.com and use our special code MOMHOUR.
Links we mentioned (or should have) in Episode 147
All the product links are in their own lists below. Special thanks to our own Katie Addiss and the awesome focus group of new moms from Denver and Minneapolis for their contributions and ideas!
- Struggles, Successes & Discoveries (Episode 133 that contains the lengthy discussion about cleaning humidifiers)
- Gift Ideas For Babies, Toddlers & Little Kids (one of our holiday gift guide episodes that contains more great gift ideas for new babies, including some of our favorite books and toys for baby’s first year)
Baby Shower Gift Ideas
Amazon links are affiliates. That means if you click through and make a purchase you’ll be helping support The Mom Hour at no additional cost to you. Thank you for helping us continue to produce the podcast!
Go-to gifts from moms who know what’s up:
- All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon – Sarah’s new favorite book to give as a new baby gift
- Zutano Cozie Fleece Baby Booties With Grippers
- Soft moccasins for pre-walkers, like any made by Robeez or these from Minnetonka
- We both love Tea Collection for their soft cotton play clothes and jammies
- Boppy Newborn Lounger
- Leachco Podster Sling-Style Infant Seat Lounger
- Boppy Nursing Pillow and Positioner
- Magnificent Baby Unisex Newborn Footie
- A pretty Chewbeads Necklace for mom
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Rock ‘n Play Sleeper
- Skip Hop 3-Stage Activity Center
- Little Giraffe Luxe Blanket
- Fisher-Price Bath Tub
- WubbaNub Infant Pacifier
Gifts and gadgets we scoffed at until we realized they really ARE that great:
- Fridababy NoseFrida Nasal Aspirator (aka “the snotsucker”)
- Windi the Gaspasser by Fridababy
- Burp cloths shaped to stay on your shoulder, like these
- Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby cribs, car seats, strollers, high chairs and much, much more! (recommended for moms who want to sort through what’s worth the extra money and what you can go cheaper on)
- Working moms in our focus group recommend registering for a LOT of pumping storage bags because you’ll go through them faster than you think!
- Fisher-Price 4-in-1 Sling N Seat Tub (because bathing baby in a sink is harder than you think!)
- Keekaroo Peanut Changer (so you never have to wash changing pad covers again)
- Katie’s new favorite humidifier is this one: Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
Supposed “essentials” that some of us found over-rated (and others did not!)
- Teeny tiny newborn-sized dresses for baby girls
- Impractical shoes for babies who can’t walk
- Expensive sound machines (that’s what electric fans are for!)
- Co-sleeper bassinets, or any pricey one-purpose place for baby to sleep
- Super adorable but not-super-necessary diaper stackers, like this one
Take Our Listener Survey!
Thank you for helping us continue to improve the podcast by taking our short listener survey! Take the survey now.
Sign Up For Our Emails!
We’re now sending newsletters once a month! Sign up here to make sure you get the next month’s letter.