All the holiday cards arriving in the mail this month have us thinking about family portraits, taking photos (or having them taken) of our kids, and documenting life with little ones throughout the year. In Episode 81 we talk about how to take better photos of your kids (with the camera you already own), why school pictures are still a thing, when and how we’ve chosen to spring for professional photos, and how we manage to capture events like school plays and birthday parties without feeling like we spend the whole time behind the camera.
Next week we’ll have a follow up podcast episode all about what we DO with the photos we take – including tips for storing, organizing and creating keepsakes with your family photos. So check back here for Episode 82!
Do you ever have a feeling that you could be taking better pictures of your kids? Do you wish you remembered to pull your camera out more often? Are you interested in brushing up your photography skills while documenting your family in 2017? Shoot Along, a year-long photography project for parents, is here to help!
USE PROMO CODE THEMOMHOUR TO SAVE $25 ON SHOOT ALONG 2017!
Next year’s Shoot Along project, beginning January 1st, will guide thousands of parents who have come together to achieve one beautiful mission: to beautifully document their families’ “everyday” moments. Shoot Along empowers parents through weekly emails that include the following:
- Photography Instruction: Week-by-week photography lessons delivered by email. Learn new concepts, build on your existing skills, or embrace topics as inspiration to remain technically and creatively open-minded! DSLR and Mobile lessons often overlap, but are tailored to the unique capabilities of each group.
- Inspiring interviews: Respected professional photographers from around the world give a glimpse into their personal images, sharing pictures of their own families. They will describe how they get shots that are meaningful and authentic.
- Discounts & trends: The Shoot Along leaders keep an eye on what’s happening in the photography community so that you can concentrate on photographing your family. They’ve also arranged exclusive discounts for members throughout the year from suppliers of beautiful photo products.
- A Supportive Online Community: The Shoot Along Facebook Group is a supportive online community where members connect & share photography throughout the year.
- BONUS Editing Tutorials*: Step-by-step videos delivered by email each week will show you how to add magic to your images. *Editing uses Photoshop Elements 14, which must be purchased separately
Links we mentioned (or should have!) in Episode 81
- Shoot Along 2017 – use Promo Code THEMOMHOUR at checkout to save $25!
- The Mom Stays in the Picture (Allison Slater Tate)
- A Thousand Stories (Rebecca Woolf / Girl’s Gone Child on her approach to photography)
- Meagan’s interview with photographer Chookooloonks’s Karen Walrond on The Home Hour in 2015
- Sarah’s DIY family’s holiday card photo this year (see below)