We are freshly back from Ladycamp! We are chatting takeaways from our experience and talking all about how we plan to battle tick and mosquito season – in the healthiest way possible!
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
- Drink Recipe: Spicy Margarita
- Rise Gatherings
- Beyonce Yoga Experience (Philadelphia, PA)
- Ladycamp Podcast Episodes
- CDC Zika Map
- DEET Alternatives
- (Larisa Recommended) Picaridin – Comes in a max concentration of 20% to give 8 hours of protection. Known to be more effective on flies than DEET and comparable to DEET in general without the same side effects.
- IR3535 – Comes in 10 – 30% concentrations for 8 hours of protection. May be slightly less effective than DEET, but has shown few adverse events except that it can be irritating to the eyes.
- Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus – Chemically synthesized version of lemon eucalyptus oil. This is not an essential oil. Usually in a concentration of about 30% for approximately 6 hours of protection. Many people have skin reactions to this – I recommend just staying away.
- (Larisa Recommended) Essential Oils – Studies have shown that geranium oil alone or in combination with other essential oils is comparable to DEET. IMPORTANT: Essential oil blends will need to be re-applied often.
- Recommended Products
- Sawyer Picaridin
- Dr. Frenchy Essential Oil Blends – Use code LARISA for 10% off your order
- If you need mosquito and general bug protection, try Nosquitos. This contains a blend of essential oils, including Catnip and Neem Oils. DOG SAFE! Never use essential oils on cats! You will need to re-apply this about every 2 hours. For maximum essential oils safety, Nosquitos comes in baby, kids 2+, or adult versions, and in rollers or sprays. Rollers are a very convenient way to apply to clean skin, while sprays are better if you’re already sandy or sweaty.
- If you need tick protection, try Ticked-Off. Contains a blend of essential oils, including geranium and kunzea oil. DOG SAFE! You will need to re-apply this about every 2 hours. Ticked-Off comes in a spray for either kids 2+ or adults.
- Clean and soothe existing bites by massaging the bug bites roller in after removing a tick to kill the germs, or rub on mosquitoes bites to calm the itch and help prevent welts.
- DIY Dr. Frenchy Recipes
Sponsor Spotlight: Epic!
Epic! is a digital library of more than 25,000 ebooks, audiobooks, read-to-me books, articles, quizzes and videos for kids up to age 12. You can create a unique profile for each child that recommends books based on their reading level and tracks what they read and watch. Crunchy Cocktail Hour listeners can get 2 MONTHS FREE by using promo code CRUNCHY when you sign up at getepic.com.